Running Start

MG阿拉德之怒官网The Running Start Program is a partnership between Yakima Valley College (YVC)  and Washington State public high schools. The program offers eligible high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to enroll in regular college classes and  receive both high school and college credit for those classes.

Earn high school and college credit

The Running Start program is available fall, winter and spring quarters. You may enroll simultaneously in high school and college classes, or solely in college classes.  You may enroll full-time or part-time.

MG阿拉德之怒官网Running Start students do not pay college tuition for 15 or fewer college level credits each quarter – tuition costs are dependent on the number of high school classes the student is taking. Students are responsible for paying mandatory student fees. Students also pay for textbooks and transportation.

Running Start Program Information

Learn more about Running Start including program benefits, information nights, application deadlines and more by visiting our student information page.




Students preparing to apply and their parents should attend an Information Night. Information Nights are held throughout the year. (Attendance is not required to apply.)

MG阿拉德之怒官网Students and parents/guardians must complete and sign the application and it must be turned in at the time of testing. All students must also attach a copy of their high school transcript.

Download Running Start Application

Test preparation materials are available online and are encouraged. Students that use the Study Resources MG阿拉德之怒官网score higher on the placement tests. Students that take the time to prepare often place higher and needless classes to graduate.

To determine eligibility, most students take the Running Start placement test.

If you have taken the placement test at another college or are using your Smarter Balanced Assessment scores, turn in your Running Start application, your high school transcript, and a copy of your test scores to the Running Start office. Do not send application and scores separately.

If you will be attending classes at the Yakima Campus you will test in Yakima, if you will attend classes at Grandview, you will test at the Grandview Campus.

Testing locations and times can be found here. Times and scheduling differ at the two testing locations.

Paperwork (application, test scores, transcript) need to be turned in to the Testing Center.


Students will find out eligibility status immediately after testing or turning in complete information.

To be eligible for Running Start, a student must place into English 101 (college-level English) and Math 085 and have a high school GPA of 2.0 or higher.

Once you have been accepted into the Running Start program you must meet with your high school counselor to discuss the classes needed to complete high school and what courses you might take at YVC. The counselor will complete their section of the Enrollment Verification form.

Make a list of the classes you would like to take, including item numbers. List several options in case some of those classes are full. Bring this list to your advising & registration appointment.

Next you will attend your Advising and Registration Appointment at YVC where you will sign up for classes. Running Start Advisors will help you select your classes. Please bring your Enrollment Verification Form.


After your Advising and Registration appointment, students are required to attend a Running Start Orientation. Orientation is held in the early fall for incoming students. Students who begin Running Start at other times of the year will have Orientation included in their Advising appointment.

Where do I get my card?

  • Information Window in the HUB
  • Grandview Student Council Office in the Activity Center

What to bring?

  • Valid ID with photo
  • Student ID Number

Where can I use my card?

  • Pay tuition
  • Bookstore
  • Dining and Espresso Bar
  • Check in at tutoring centers, computer and testing labs
  • Printing and copying in the library
  • Attend athletic and student events
  • Discounts at community businesses

How do I add funds to my card?

Online: OneCard
Network Id: Student ID Number
Password: Student Pin Number (DOB without leading 0, MMDDYY)
In Person: Cashier’s Office

Yakima Campus
Deccio Higher Education Center, Building 8, Room 108
Grandview Campus
Main Building, Building 56, Room 110

Technical problems or lost card?

Contact Technology Services at 509.574.4717 / Replacement cards cost $5.00.

MG阿拉德之怒官网Now that you’ve registered for classes, it is time to buy books.

MG阿拉德之怒官网Visit the . They will have the book required for your classes. You can order books online or visit the bookstores located at the Yakima campus in the Hopf Union Building (HUB).

MG阿拉德之怒官网Part of your Orientation will include a tour of the campus. This is important to make you feel more comfortable on the campuses.


MG阿拉德之怒官网Student parking permits are no longer required on the YVC Campus.  This will only affect the free student parking lots H and K.  All other parking lots will continue to require the appropriate permit.  Please reference the campus map on the Security web site for specific parking requirements.​

All of the previous reserved paid areas, lots B, F, and N are now “pay by the day” lots that require payment of $1.00 dollar exact change MG阿拉德之怒官网only with the current permit placed on the dash. Permits are non-transferrable to drivers of other vehicles.

Running Start students are required to pay YVC’s mandatory student fees, and may be responsible for some tuition depending on their course selection.

If payment causes a hardship, please consider submitting the Running Start Fee Waiver Form. More information on the Running Start Need-Based Fee Waiver can be found here.